Long Term Maintenance – Supportive Periodontal treatment
In order to keep your gum condition stable after your specialist gum treatment with us, you will benefit from having specialised 3-monthly hygiene visits called supportive periodontal therapy (SPT). The optimal frequency to keep your gum disease under control is 3-monthly because you are prone to gum disease. The evidence for 3-monthly appointments is based on many long term scientific clinical studies.
However, these hygiene visits (i.e. SPT visits) must follow a certain protocol which is outlined as follows:
- Identifying and recording any problem sites,
- Monitoring and recording bleeding on probing,
- Therapeutic treatment of these sites (where necessary using local anaesthetic),
- Plaque assessment and scores,
- Plaque control and modifying home care techniques where needed.
Specific problem areas in your mouth therefore need to be addressed at each of these hygiene visits to prevent recurrent disease.